Nov 8, 2007

I have been thinking about this portion of the song Oh My God by Jars of Clay for the last while…..

Sometimes I cannot forgive
And these days, mercy cuts so deep
If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep
While I lay, I dream we're better,
Scales were gone and faces light
When we wake, we hate our brother
We still move to hurt each other


I have always heard the word Mercy being thrown around in conversations but to tell you the truth I don’t really understand it as a concept, like it just doesn’t tic in my head, but always the idea of mercy cutting deep seems to resonate in my mind. So the researcher that I can be in specific moments of the day...Right now being 11:07pm decided to look at what it means
The dictionary meaning is: compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy, or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence

The discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to mitigate punishment, esp. to send to prison rather than invoke the death penalty.

But even that doesn’t do it for me ! I understand the second definition more then the first, but I am wondering what mercy looks like in my life, in my friend’s life and in faith?
Is it turning misery into relief?
Is it kindness and forgiveness?
Is it cutting do deep because I am so guilty?

Things are suppose to be simple so a child can understand but why do I have such difficulties understanding?

Do I not understand it because I dont see it?

side note: When I typed "Mercy" into Google Images I found multiple images of glowing Jesus's and for some reason I dont thing thats what Mercy is !

second side note: we live in an amazing planet, I just finished watching Planet Earth with a friend and I am in awe ! watch it and see the beauty that we live in if you are unable to see the beauty already !

1 comment:

GF Girl said...

first of all you stole my next blog topic - but I will be merciful on you - I will still bake. Now granted the above is true you did steal it but the mercy thing. I think is pushing it - the concept is the same, and I agree the funny thing is I get the concept of mercy - I get that God and Jesus (while here)could have just stuck out his hand and oops there goes those annoying Pharisees or gone sorry Pilate but I don't like your ruling, but He didn't - Jesus in small ways doled out huge amounts of mercy on the pathetic selves of his disciples and did so for all of us on the Cross - that was mercy - that was an act that said you are are so royally screwed, you don't get it you really don't get it - I decide, I determine - and because I am compassionate and merciful I know that my death is the only was to do this - the thing though while it does cut deep at times - it doesn't repeatedly cut shallow... in that it's the deep cuts that take long to heal but there is minimal pain, those nagging papercuts... on the other hand.... but I guess I should just explain myself better on my blog

Sweet post though, Miss. Not a Real Writer...whatever